The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main is one of the most popular engineering entrance exams in India. Conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA), it is the gateway for admission into NITs, IIITs and other centrally funded technical institutes across the country.
This article provides a comprehensive overview of the key details regarding the JEE Main 2024 exam based on the latest notification by NTA. It covers the important exam dates, pattern, eligibility criteria, application process, exam centers, admit card, exam day guidelines, result and counselling.
The purpose of this article is to inform aspirants planning to appear for JEE Main 2024 with all the key information they need to know regarding the undergraduate engineering entrance exam. It serves as a one-stop guide covering every major aspect of the exam to help students understand the complete JEE Main 2024 exam process before they start their preparation.
JEE Main 2024 Exam Date
The National Testing Agency (NTA) has announced the official exam dates for the JEE Main 2024 entrance exam. As per the schedule, JEE Main 2024 will be conducted in two sessions – January and April.
The JEE Main January 2024 session will be held from January 6 to January 12, 2024. This will be the first attempt for engineering aspirants. The JEE Main April 2024 session is scheduled from April 6 to April 12, 2024. This will be the second attempt for students to improve their scores if they are unsatisfied with their first attempt.
JEE Main is conducted twice a year to provide multiple opportunities to candidates to improve their scores if they fail to perform well in the first attempt. The best of the two NTA scores is considered for admission and ranking.
JEE Main 2024 Exam Pattern
The JEE Main 2024 exam is conducted for admissions to various undergraduate engineering and architecture programs at NITs, IIITs and other government funded institutions. Some key changes have been announced in the JEE Main 2024 exam pattern:
- Exam will be conducted twice a year in January and April
- BTech paper will have three sections – Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
- Each subject will have 20 multiple choice questions out of which 5 are to be attempted
- There will be 10 numerical based questions out of which only 5 need to be attempted
- Drawing test has been removed and is now part of BArch paper
- Total marks remain 300 but distribution changed
Some highlights of the new exam pattern:
- Reduced number of questions from 90 to 75 in BTech paper
- More numerical based questions added
- Internal choice in exam reduced
- Maths and Chemistry sections will be held in different shifts now
- Relaxation in number of questions to be attempted in each section
The updated exam pattern will test core concepts, speed and analytical thinking of students. With limited choice, students need to be thorough in entire syllabus. The format provides flexibility by not mandating all questions to be attempted.
JEE Main 2024 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for JEE Main 2024 vary depending on the applicant’s category. Here is a summary:
For the B.E./B.Tech. Course
- The applicant must have passed the class 12/equivalent examination in 2021, 2022 or appearing in 2023.
- There is no age limit for applicants.
- For applicants belonging to the general category, they must have secured a minimum aggregate of 75% in physics, chemistry and maths in their class 12 exams.
- For SC/ST applicants, the minimum aggregate is 65% in physics, chemistry and maths.
- Applicants with benchmark disabilities specified under the RPwD Act, 2016 are eligible with a minimum aggregate of 55% in physics, chemistry and maths.
For the B.Arch Course
- Applicants must have passed the 10+2 examination with mathematics as a compulsory subject along with physics and chemistry.
- They must have secured a minimum of 50% aggregate in these subjects.
- There is no age bar for candidates.
For the B.Planning Course
- Applicants must have passed the 10+2 examination with mathematics as a compulsory subject.
- They must have secured a minimum of 50% aggregate in physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- There is no age limit to apply.
In summary, the eligibility criteria varies based on the course applied for and the category of the applicant. Meeting the minimum aggregates in physics, chemistry and math is essential.
JEE Main 2024 Application Process
The JEE Main 2024 application process will be completely online and candidates must submit their application through the official website. Here are the key steps to apply online for JEE Main 2024:
- Go to the official JEE Main website and click on the link for new user registration. Complete the registration process by filling in details, uploading images and generating a password.
- Log in using the system generated Application Number and password.
- Fill in the online JEE Main application form giving all required details.
- Upload scanned images of photograph, signature, category certificate, PwD certificate etc. as per the specifications.
- Pay the application fee online using credit/debit card, net banking or UPI.
- Preview the completed application form and make corrections if any. Submit the JEE Main form.
- Download confirmation page and take printout of the submitted application form.
Candidates must have the following documents ready before starting the JEE Main 2024 application process:
- Scanned photograph and signature as per format
- Category certificate (SC/ST/OBC-NCL)
- PwD certificate if applicable
- Class 10th and 12th marksheets and certificates
- Aadhar card
- Ration card if applicable
- Bank account details for fee payment
Submitting the application on time and with all accurate details is important for successful registration to the exam.
JEE Main 2024 Exam Centers
The National Testing Agency (NTA) will set up exam centers in major cities across India for conducting the JEE Main 2024 exam. Some of the major exam centers likely to be set up are:
- New Delhi – Several exam centers across Delhi and NCR region including centers in Rohini, Dwarka, Saket, Okhla etc.
- Mumbai – Major exam centers in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane and Kalyan.
- Kolkata – Exam centers in central, north and south Kolkata.
- Chennai – Key centers in Adyar, Ambattur, Anna Nagar, T Nagar, Velachery etc.
- Bengaluru – Prominent exam centers across Bengaluru including Koramangala, Malleshwaram, Jalahalli, Yeshwanthpur etc.
- Hyderabad – Multiple exam centers in Kukatpally, Dilsukhnagar, Secunderabad, LB Nagar, Mehdipatnam etc.
- Ahmedabad – Leading exam centers in Memnagar, Navrangpura, Paldi, Bodakdev, Jodhpur etc.
- Pune – Major exam centers in Deccan, Camp, Kothrud, Swargate, Hadapsar, Kalyani Nagar.
- Lucknow – Key exam centers in Aliganj, Indira Nagar, Gomti Nagar, Hazratganj, Kaiserbagh etc.
- Bhopal – Prominent exam centers in MP Nagar, Koh-e-Fiza, Shahpura, Rasal Ganj, Awadhpuri etc.
The final list of exam centers will be released by NTA closer to the exam date. Students are allotted exam centers based on the choices filled during the application process.
JEE Main 2024 Admit Card
The JEE Main 2024 admit card will be available for download a few weeks before the exam date. Candidates will be able to download their admit cards from the official website by entering their application number and date of birth. The admit card is an important document that needs to be carried to the exam center.
Details about Admit Card Download
- Admit cards will be released in online mode only. Candidates will not receive any hard copy admit cards for the exam via post.
- To download, candidates need to visit the official website and enter their application number and password.
- Admit cards need to be printed out on A4 sized paper only. The admit card must be produced at the exam center along with a valid photo ID proof.
- Details such as the candidate’s name, roll number, exam date, time, venue details, and exam day instructions will be mentioned on the admit card.
- Candidates must carefully check all the details on their admit card soon after downloading it. In case of any discrepancy, they must contact the exam conducting body immediately.
- Candidates without a valid admit card will not be allowed to appear for the exam under any circumstances.
- The admit card needs to be preserved safely until the admission process is completed.
- Candidates are advised to be thoroughly familiar with the exam center location to avoid any last minute delays.
- Candidates also need to strictly follow all exam day guidelines regarding reporting time, items allowed/not allowed inside exam centers, dress code etc. mentioned on the admit card.
- In case the admit card is lost or misplaced, candidates can download a duplicate admit card by submitting a written request along with a photograph and id proof.
- Any errors found in the admit card after downloading must be rectified immediately by contacting the exam authorities. Mistakes cannot be rectified on exam day.
JEE Main 2024 Exam Day Guidelines
Candidates appearing for JEE Main 2024 need to follow certain important instructions on the exam day. Some key guidelines are:
- Reach the exam center at least 1.5 hours before the reporting time mentioned on the admit card. This will help complete the entry procedures smoothly.
- Carry the printed JEE Main admit card along with a valid photo ID proof in original. The admit card is mandatory for entry to the exam hall.
- Follow the dress code prescribed by NTA. Avoid any prohibited items like jewelry, watches, electronic gadgets etc.
- Go through the instructions provided in the admit card carefully. Follow the exam day guidelines regarding what you can carry and what not.
- Maintain discipline and decorum at the exam center. Do not create any kind of disturbance.
- Listen carefully to the invigilator’s instructions. Be seated at your designated desk. Do not talk to fellow candidates once the exam starts.
- Read the question paper carefully before attempting. Manage your time well so that no section is left incomplete.
- Mark the answers neatly on the OMR sheet. Do not make any stray marks on it.
- In case of any queries, raise your hand to notify the invigilator. Do not get up from your seat without permission.
- At the end, re-check your OMR sheet before handing it over to the invigilator. Verify all details are correct on the admit card before signing it.
Following the exam day guidelines will help candidates have a smooth JEE Main 2024 test taking experience. Abiding by the instructions will also ensure there are no issues during the entry, exam or exit.
JEE Main 2024 Result & Counselling
The result of JEE Main 2024 will be declared by NTA after completion of the April session exam. The result will be made available on the official website in the form of scorecards. Candidates will be able to check their subject-wise and overall marks scored in the entrance test.
NTA will announce the JEE Main 2024 cutoff marks for qualifying to JEE Advanced 2023 along with the result. The cutoff marks are the minimum required marks that candidates need to score to qualify for JEE Advanced. Only those candidates who appear for both January and April sessions will be considered for ranking.
After the JEE Main 2024 result is declared, the JoSAA counselling process will commence for admission to NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. Seats in these institutes will be allocated based on the candidate’s rank and preference of institute and branch. The counselling process consists of registration, choice filling, seat allotment, fee payment and document verification.
Candidates who meet the required cutoff marks will be eligible for JoSAA counselling process. They are required to register on the portal and fill their choices of institute and branches. Based on the choices filled, seats will be allotted through several rounds. Selected candidates need to pay the admission fee and verify their documents at the allotted institute to confirm their admission.
Preparing for JEE Main 2024 requires commitment, hard work, and strategic planning. With the exam date released, candidates must start planning their preparation strategy as soon as possible.
Some key takeaways for JEE Main 2024 preparation include:
- Focus on conceptual clarity for Physics, Chemistry and Maths. Understand concepts thoroughly before solving problems.
- Follow a structured routine and stick to it religiously. Allot time for self-study, solving previous year papers, mock tests etc.
- Work on your problem solving speed and accuracy. The exam has tight time limits.
- Identify your strong and weak areas. Give more time to subjects/topics you are weaker in.
- Take regular breaks to avoid burnout. Proper rest is crucial for peak performance.
- Solve previous year papers and take mock tests to assess readiness. Identify improvement areas.
- Stay motivated throughout the preparation. Believe in your abilities and keep the end goal in mind.
JEE Main is the gateway to top engineering colleges like IITs. Proper preparation and strategic planning can help candidates maximize their chances of getting into their dream college. With the right effort and persistence, aspiring engineers can conquer JEE Main 2024.