IISERs (Indian Institute of Science and Research) are a cluster of premier public research institutions in India. The institutes were established by the Government of India through the Ministry of Human Resources (MHRD) to provide scholastic education in basic sciences coupled with research at the undergraduate level to PhD. The group of institutes was legally established by the Parliament of India through the National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research (Amendment) Act, 2010 (an amendment to the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007). There are seven IISERs established across the country, namely IISER Kolkata in West Bengal (est.2006), IISER Pune in Maharashtra (est. 2006), IISER Mohali in Punjab (est. 2007), IISER Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh (est.2008), IISER Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala (est. 2008), IISER Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh (est. 2015), and IISER Berhampur in Odisha (est. 2016).
The vision of these institutes surrounds the creation of research centres of the highest stature where teaching and education in the basic sciences are incorporated with the state of the research. IISER’s devotion to UG and PG teaching in basic sciences is unparalleled with an intellectually vibrant atmosphere of research.
Candidates who have passed 10+2 or equivalent level exam with science stream in 2020 or 2021 from any board recognized by Council of Boards of faculty Education in India (COBSE) and have scored within the category-wise cut-off are eligible to use for admissions to IISER only through the subsequent three channels:
(1) Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) channel
(2) Joint entrance exam (JEE-Advanced) of the Indian Institutes of Technology
(3) State and Central Boards Channel (SCB)
These channels are going to be mentioned as KVPY, JEE, and SCB, respectively.
Due to Covid-19, the subsequent amendment to the eligibility criteria for admission to the BS-MS and BS programs of IISERs were relaxed in 2021 and can be continued in 2022.
The cut-off marks in (10+2) as eligibility for admissions is 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent grade for GEN/OBC and OBC-NCL categories and 55% for SC/ST/PWD in any recognized board.
Indian nationals and students belonging to PIO or OCI category are eligible to use through any channel provided they satisfy the eligibility criteria described below.
Candidates having a legitimate KVPY fellowship commencing from 2021-22 school term are eligible to use for admissions. Additional cut-off criteria for marks obtained in the 10+2 board examination are additionally applicable.
To be eligible for admission via the IIT-JEE (Advanced) channel, candidates must have secured a rank within 15000 within the common rank list (for candidates belonging to GEN/OBC categories) or in the respective category rank lists (for candidates belonging to GEN-EWS/OBC-NCL/SC/ST/PWD categories) of JEE(Advanced).
* Students who have passed 10+2 level with science stream in 2020 or 2021, from any board recognized by COBSE are eligible to use for admissions and appear for IAT 2021.
* However, they’re going to be considered for admissions to the degree programmes as long as they obtain the cut-off marks specified.
* Students applying through the SCB channel will need to appear within the IISER Aptitude Test (IAT) which can be conducted at various centres across the country.
Regarding the cut-oﬀ marks for IISER Admissions
▪ The cut-oﬀ marks for PwD candidates are going to be an equivalent because the lowest of the cut-oﬀ marks for GEN, OBC-NCL, SC and ST categories.
▪ Insight of the very fact that candidates qualifying Class XII or equivalent during either (or both) 2020 and 2021, it’s reiterated that the cut-oﬀ for the tutorial year 2021 will only be considered.
As of January 2022, the total number of seats available were around 1662 in BS-MS and 115 more in BS due to the recent increase in the intake of students.
To know more about the seat matrix of IISER do look into this document http://iiseradmission.in/pdf/SA261021.pdf
With IISER being a research-based institute many students go for higher studies abroad or do their PhD in IISER and abroad. But the campus placement in IISER is not at all bad and is better than top NITs and equivalent to IITs, DTU and NSIT. The average salary package from the old IISER starts from 7 lakh P.A. Companies like Google, Microsoft and top multinational hire students after completion of their dual degrees. Mostly, the research done by students go for funding and the environment around IISER also creates an ecosystem of start-ups. These institutes also have a startup incubation program which is funded by the central government helping in becoming the students future entrepreneurs.
Keep following PracBee for more information and updates.