Engineering is considered as one of the most popular career options after class XII. A career in engineering requires a pretty unique set of skills. With lakhs of students appearing for engineering entrance exams, the competition is getting tougher by each passing year. However, more than 7 thousand institutes are spread across the country, so the options available for an average student are plenty. A candidate, in India, has options to choose from more than 50 engineering entrance examinations. While some of them are conducted at the national level, others are held at state and institute level.
Some of the popular engineering are mentioned with the details below.
- JEE Main: It is a common entrance test conducted to screen candidates for admission in B. E./B. Tech., B. Arch., B. Planning in various NITs, IIITs, and other participating institutes. It is also the qualifying exam for JEE Advanced. From 2019, the exam is getting held twice a year – in January and in April by NTA (National Testing Agency). Till 2018, JEE Main exam was being conducted by CBSE.
- JEE Advanced: The second stage of the JEE system, JEE Advanced is conducted once a year by the seven zonal IITs with guidance from the Joint Admission Board (JAB). The exam scores are used for admissions to BTech programmes offered by prestigious IITs, IISc, ISM Dhanbad and a few other institutes. Only those candidates who qualified JEE Mains can appear for JEE Advance.
- BITSAT: Conducted by Birla Institute of Technology and Science, it is an online examination for admission in undergraduate engineering courses offered at three campuses of BITS located in Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad.
- VITEEE: It is a national level engineering entrance exam conducted by Vellore Institute of Technology University. It provides admission to B Tech programs offered in the constituent institutions of the university.
- SRMJEEE: Conducted by SRM Institute of Science and Technology, it is a university level exam that acts as a common entrance examination for all SRM Group Institutes and Universities located at Ramapuram, NCR – Ghaziabad, Ramapuram Part – Vadapalani, Amravati, Haryana, Kattankulathur, and Sikkim.
- COMEDK: The undergraduate entrance test is a state level entrance exam conducted by Consortium of Dental, Engineering and Medical Colleges of Karnataka. The exam scores are used for admissions to interested candidates in engineering and medical degree courses offered by colleges/institutes that are affiliated to COMEDK.
- KIITEE: Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology conducts KIITEE to offer admission to its various courses for undergraduate as well as post graduate programs.
- WBJEE: It is a state government controlled centralised test. The exam is conducted by West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination Board for admission in various private and government engineering institutions of the state.
- MHTCET: Maharashtra Common Entrance Exam is conducted by Directorate of Technical Education for admission to its BE/B. Tech programs offered by the government colleges of the state.
Apart from these, there are many other engineering entrance exams that can be considered by a candidate. A few of which are Manipal Entrance Test, UPESEAT, APIIT NAT, TS EAMCET, etc. Most of these exams have Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics only in syllabus while some may have English or Logical reasoning included too.