National Testing Agency (NTA) is an Indian governmental agency established in November 2017 which was approved by the Union Council of Ministers to conduct several entrance examinations for higher educational institutions. NTA has the responsibility of conducting the Joint Entrance Examination-Main (JEE- Main), National Eligibility cum Entrance Test -Undergraduate (NEET-UG), National Eligibility Test (NET), Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) and Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT).
National Testing Agency (NTA) has been recognized as a premier, specialist, autonomous and self-sustained testing organization to conduct entrance examinations for admission/fellowship in higher educational institutions.
It is founded to assess the capability of candidates for admissions and recruitment which has always been a challenge in terms of matching with research based international standards, efficiency, transparency and error-free delivery. The National Testing Agency is burdened to mitigate all such issues using the best technology in every field, from test preparation, to test delivery and to test marking.
The government appointed Dr Vineet Joshi as the 1st Director-General of the agency. The Union Cabinet has initially granted an amount of 25 crore Indian rupees to start its operations in the initial year.
NTA has a mission to put the right candidates in the best institutions to give India her demographic dividend. It helps in improving equity and quality in education by using research-based legal, dependable, proficient, crystal clear, reasonable and international level valuations. The best in market subject matter experts, psychometricians and IT delivery and security professionals will guarantee that the current loopholes in the current assessment systems are properly identified and rectified.
NTA will create an ecosystem promoting teaching, learning and assessing. It strongly believes in the quality, efficiency, effectiveness, equity and security of assessments. To practice these values, NTA will always keep in touch with its patrons, viz. students, parents, teachers, experts and partner institutions.
OBJECTIVES OF NTA
- Conduct efficient, transparent and international standards tests to assess the competency of candidates for admission, and recruitment purposes.
- Research educational, professional and testing systems to spot gaps within the knowledge systems and take steps for bridging them.
- Recognize experts and institutions in setting examination questions.
- Create and circulate information and research on education and professional development standards.
FUNCTIONS OF NTA
- Identify partner institutions with adequate infrastructure from the prevailing schools and better education institutions which might facilitate the conduct of online examinations without adversely impacting their academic routine.
- Create an issuing bank for all subjects using fashionable techniques.
- Establish a strong R&D culture as well as a pool of experts in different aspects of testing.
- Help individual colleges and universities within the field of testing and supply training and advisory services to the institutions in India.
- Provide quality testing services to tutorial institutions in India.
- Develop a state of the art culture of testing in India by using domestic and international expertise. To collaborate with international organizations like ETS (Educational Testing Service) to recognize an equivalent.
- Undertake the other examination that’s entrusted thereto by the Ministries/Departments of state of India/State Governments.
- Undertake the reforms and training of faculty boards also as other bodies where the testing standards should be comparable to the doorway examinations.
- Undertake the modifications and training of school boards as well as other bodies where the testing standards should be comparable with the entrance examinations.
Please keep following PracBee for more information and updates.