In recent years around 500 medical colleges participate in the NEET UG entrance examination for admission of students to various medical UG courses. However, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) New Delhi, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, and Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Puducherry remain the top choices of the students appearing for NEET UG during 2020, as per data shared by Medical Counselling Committee (MCC). This year various government and private medical colleges would grant admission to medical or dental courses based on the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) on August 1st 2021.
As information for the aspirants, till 2020 AIIMS and JIPMER used to conduct their own entrance examinations for granting admission. From 2020, both the institutes have started participating in NEET-UG. As a practice, the candidates who wish to take admissions to MBBS will have to qualify NEET and participate in the counseling conducted by the MCC specifically for seats under the All-India Quota. For seats under various state quotas, the aspirants have to enroll in counseling conducted by various state-level bodies.
To qualify for the NEET-UG, candidates from the unreserved category need to score at least 50 percentiles marks. For OBC, ST, and SC, the cutoff lies at 40 percentiles, whereas for candidates from EWS the cutoff lies at 45 percentiles. Hence, if a candidate wishes to get into a popular and widely chosen institute, he/she needs to score over 600 marks out of 720. In NEET UG 2020, a boy named Soyeb Aftab from Odisha bagged the AIR 1 by scoring 720 out of 720 marks. The girl named Akanksha Singh from New Delhi also scored full marks and secured the AIR 2.
According to the data released by MCC, the following were the colleges which the top 200 students chose to pursue their MBBS-
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) Puducherry
- BJ Government Medical College, Pune
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- Government Medical College, Kota
- Sawai Man Singh (S.M.S.) Medical College, Jaipur
- Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram
- VMMC And Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi
- Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai
- Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Jodhpur
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Bhopal
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
- University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS), Delhi
- Madurai Medical College, Madurai
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Medical College, Rajkot
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Bibinagar
Keep visiting www.pracbee.com for more and the latest information.